My thoughts and musings on living a straight, Christian life while dealing with same sex attraction (SSA). Respectful comments are welcomed.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Facts and Reasoning

The Mormonism I believe in is based on the factual state of the universe, not a blog poll. God's relationship with us is changeable on only one end, ours.

Thanks, -L-, this sums up what I have been trying to say. Your statements about the factual state of the universe echoed what I was trying to say about Truth being universal. Reasoning out that things are a certain way doesn't change how they really are (no more than the Council of Nicea saying the heavens were closed could prevent God from giving modern day revelation).

Having a testimony of the reality of God's existence has, for me, brought great peace of mind in that it guides me and my decisions. It makes them easier, because I don't have to figure out some of the basics and the direction I am heading. It's like when you use philosophy to reason out a decision: if you start from a false or flawed premise, then your logic will lead you to an erroneous conclusion. But, if your premise is sound, then you have your feet on the right track before you start and sound logic will lead you to a sound conclusion. Knowing what I Know, makes the process easier. It brings me peace of mind.

This isn't to say that I am on easy street. I still struggle. I still slip. I still get down about it. I just know what course to set and how to correct my course when I slip off course.

and -L-...thanks for the encouragement.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgive me if this is too personal, but I'll assume you must be somewhat bisexual if you are attracted to men AND are able to have sex with your wife. Some of us identify as gay because we can't "get it up" for a woman no matter what. At least you can pass for straight.

4:26 PM

 
Blogger -L- said...

Thanks for the shout out. I look forward to reading more. If you have any particular advice on how you have successfully dealt with your situation, I would love to hear it.

7:16 PM

 
Blogger LDSwithSSA said...

Anonymous...
No, I would not be a 6 on the Kinsey scale, I would be somewhere in the middle.

-l-...you're welcome. I can only give general stuff...trust in the prophet and that he speaks for God, set boundaries for yourself in the areas where you know you are weak, don't beat yourself up for setbacks (view them as such, not as failures) and move forward again, find support where you can (friends, family, Evergreen, church leaders, therapy/therapist, etc.), and most importantly pray for strength and the desire to change and move past it.

I did some therapy several years ago, and it helped, but due to circumstances, I had to quit and have never gotten back into it. I still want to do more therapy (and yes, it will be of the reparative variety).

9:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home