My thoughts and musings on living a straight, Christian life while dealing with same sex attraction (SSA). Respectful comments are welcomed.

Friday, January 13, 2006

An Introduction - Gay vs SSA

Well, I am doing it...I am joining the world of bloggers to spout off my thoughts to the world. I find myself in the somewhat unique position of being LDS and dealing with same sex attraction. I reject the label of being gay, as that implies an acceptance of the lifestyle and the orientation. I reject both, and am determined to live a Christian life. I am not gay, but I do deal with same sex attraction.

I am writing this as a form of self-disclosure, to be able to talk about the issue, but I will not be talking about myself a lot (at least not in specifics). I am an active LDS man, married with kids, and I'm temple worthy, though not perfect. I still notice and think about men, but I am trying to improve my track record on that, as I work on dealing with my same sex attraction or SSA.

I subscribe to the reparative therapy philosophy (instead of the gay-affirmative philosophy). The reparative philosophy is that orientation can be changed, that it isn't set in stone. There is plenty of research to back this up, people just don't hear it due to the liberal establishment. If you want to know more, you can go to one of various websites to learn more... Evergreen International is a good place to start. If you want more info on my point of view, just ask. Or, wait and I will put up some links on my blog. Whether you agree with this position or not, it is my position. I am not writing this to invite criticism or argument, but to explore my journey in dealing with SSA. Questions are welcomed, arguments are not.

Anyhow, that's a good basic overview of my position. Questions??

3 Comments:

Blogger el veneno said...

gosh I wish there weren't so many of us going through this.... but as long as you're here, I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

I also hope that your initiating this blog won't follow the trend of the other gay/ssa LDS bloggers who slowly experiment themselves into gay relationships.

If you're looking for acceptance and validation I recommend you look no further than the people who are already around you--your family, friends, roommates, and religious leaders. You'll be surprised how understanding they are.

Having friends who deal with SSA too can be great too. Just don't be discouraged by the pessismism of most the bloggers. The things people post online are some of their darkest and most conflicted thoughts, not representative of their real life. That, and many of those who blog here have pretty much given up hope. There's a lot to be hopeful for so don't give up.

10:16 AM

 
Blogger LDSwithSSA said...

No way am I going to experiment...I have too much to lose. I know I need more healthy male relationships, and am working on developing some. Thanks for the encouragement.

11:51 PM

 
Blogger Dave said...

I hope it's OK that I comment on here even though I obviously have different opinions than you. There is also a lot of research to back the biology of sexual orientation. Being gay doesn't make me not Christian, I believe in God and in being a good person. I also believe in being true to myself and being happy with who I am.

11:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home